The Looshaus (Raiffeisen Building), Michaelerplatz 3, 1010
We are offered the rare opportunity to access one of Vienna’s landmark buildings, the Looshaus, named after the progressive architect Adolf Loos and will enjoy a short, guided tour by Dr. Markus Tristan, a proven expert on the architect. Now owned by the Raiffeisen Landesbank the building is normally closed to the public as it serves as a branch bank or is rented out for events
The work for their new premises was commissioned by the men’s clothing and sportswear manufacturer Goldman & Salatsch. At one of the most prominent sites in Vienna, next to the Hofburg, this fine example of modernism triggered an uproar in the conservative Viennese society upon its completion in the year 1911. Emperor Franz Josef was disgusted!
The wider public still favoured the old look and was not yet ready for new ideas. Brass flower boxes were finally attached beneath the windows to soften the appearance of the “house without eyebrows”.
The contrast between the expensive marble-clad lower facade area and the simple, cheaper, plaster façade of the upper residential floors is striking. The then state-of-the-art interior was a functional manufacturing area with abundant natural light on one side and a welcoming sales area with precious mahogany, oak flooring, brass and mirrors to promote an elegant, club-like atmosphere on the other. WW1 and WW2 took its toll and left the house damaged and desolate. After serving several different purposes the building underwent extensive restoration in 1989.
Sign up by Monday, May 20
Friends and partners welcome!
Helene Gressenbauer, email@example.com / 0664 920 9807