Since our beginnings in 1924, AWA Vienna has been "women helping women".
The crafting group preparing for the Easter Affayre raising money for a local charity which supports abused women,
A Brief History
AWA Vienna was founded in 1924 by American diplomatic and military wives. In 1931, AWA Vienna joined the Federation of American Women's Club, which became known as FAWCO. FAWCO was founded as an association of American women working for international goodwill and the preservation of world peace, helping one another solve problems common to us all.
The group briefly disbanded in 1939 following Hitler's arrival in Vienna and remained inactive during the War. After the war, during the Allied Occupation, American Embassy and military wives organized the Children's Friendship Fund and used the proceeds from a thrift shop to help deprived and starving Austrian children. AWA Vienna became active again in 1964, with about 60 members. Today, AWA Vienna hosts more than 250+ members, and continues the tradition of women helping women.
From our earliest beginnings 90 years ago to the last 50 years since we re-established after World War II, AWA has developed and grown, along with the City of Vienna, into the rich and diverse, cosmopolitan, international community. Common threads running through our history are: making friends, adapting to new places, learning about our adopted home and its culture, sharing experiences, working together, having fun, and supporting worthy causes.
WE ALWAYS HAVE BEEN AND CONTINUE TO BE WOMEN HELPING WOMEN.